Spire View Housing Association believes that keeping our properties properly maintained is a key activity. We recognise that maintaining our properties protects our initial investment and thus facilitates longer term regeneration. In addition and more importantly, it is of fundamental importance to our tenants and our relationship with them. This is a partnership where both tenant and landlord have a responsibility to maintain the property to its highest standard.
The association is responsible for the structure and external fabric of the building. This includes:
- drains, gutters and external pipes
- the roof
- outside walls, doors, windowsills, window catches, sash cords and window frames, including external painting and decoration
- internal walls, floors, ceilings, doors and frames, staircases and landings (but not including painting and decoration)
- chimneys, chimney stacks and flues
- pathways, steps and other means of access
- integral garages and stores
- boundary walls and fences
We will also keep the following in good working order:
- central heating
- hot water
- basins, sinks, baths, toilets, flushing systems, waste pipes, showers and water tanks (unless you have installed these yourself)
- electrical wiring, central heating installations, door entry systems, communal TV aerials and extractor fans
Full details of your repair responsibilities can be found in Section 5 of your Scottish Secure Tenancy agreement.
All repairs at the office should be reported to staff as soon as possible. Outwith office hours, details of emergency contact numbers can be found on the answering machine. The out of hours telephone numbers should only be used for genuine emergencies, or you may be charged a call-out fee.
The Association has set targets for responding to different types of repairs. We aim to carry out repairs within the following timescales:
- Emergency – responded to within 4 hours
- Urgent – attended to within 1 working day
- Routine – attended to within 5 working days
- Planned – these repairs may be programmed for completion as part of a scheme and held over until it is practical to carry these out, e.g. boiler and roofs etc
Please ensure that you always keep your appointments for repairs. If you are unable to make an appointment, you should contact the office beforehand to make an alternative arrangement.
Some maintenance items are carried out on a cyclical or continuous basis. This includes gas servicing, gutter cleaning, close redecoration and grass cutting.
Alterations and Improvements
If you wish to carry out any alterations or improvements to your home, you must ask permission from the association. Forms are available from the office, along with details of the procedure for requesting permission. We will not unreasonable withhold permission.
Please note that you must request permission prior to installing a Sky dish or laminate flooring.
We have a small annual budget to pay for any medical aids and adaptations that you may require, e.g. handrails, ramps, showers etc. If you are experiencing difficulty in your home, please contact the Occupational Therapist based at the Social Work Department in Red Road on 0141 276 4710. They can assess your specific needs and send us details. We are more than happy to carry out the necessary work, subject to funding being available.
Any repairs caused by neglect, carelessness or abuse by you, a member of your household or a visitor to your home, will be charged to you. We will normally request payment in advance; however, alternative arrangements may be made on request.